Cameoid Restoration – Liverpool

This was a Traditional Painter project – although out of my geographic area of South Birmingham and Hereford & Worcestershire, it was felt that my experience of working with Lincrusta may make me a good candidate for this project.

My first schlep up to Liverpool to assess the project was between Christmas and New Year. As soon as the front door was opened, I knew that I was looking at, was not Lincrusta (as it initially had been described to me)…

Brief interlude for a Wallcovering History lesson; way back in 1877 Lincrusta was invented, by Frederick Walton – interestingly, his family (his father I think) was also responsible for Linoleum (Lino)… around this time, derivatives of “putty” based Lincrusta were also in production. Two main notable wallcoverings were; Salamander and Cameoid… Salamander is by far the rarer of the two and is extremely scarce this days – which is good news for decorators, as it is Asbestos based. Cameoid is much more commonplace and is pulp based. Lesson over.

Project Overview; An Edwardian property. Over the years the Cameoid which was below dado had been “mangled” by occupants installing batons and handrails, plaster had blown making the substrate extremely unstable.

Project Brief; After my client had carefully removed the Cameoid himself and had the wall plastered, replace Cameoid, restore to former glory. Also, paint out Hall Stairs & Landing area in new colour scheme.

Project process;


1. Clean plaster old skim from back of Cameoid (see above image).


2. Reinstall Cameoid to site. Use Lincrusta adhesive, align and pin into place.


3. Repeat, repeat, repeat.


4. Fill joints; for this project I trialled Prestonett general purpose powder filler. Once dry, shape back… you can see from the above image I used Mirka’s Mirlon Total for this process.


5. Because the Cameoid is flexible, when it is initially removed from the wall and from cleaning the old skim from the back of the Cameoid, the layers of old paint on the face fracture and damage, this must be repaired. Firstly, I paint the freshly installed Cameoid (once dry), this gives it a “mist coat” and highlights where needs to be restored.


6. 7. 8… From here on in, it really is fill, flatten, fill, flatten, fill, flatten. Product used was Prestonett Ready Mixed Lightweight Filler.


Once this process is complete, it is simply a case of straight forward painting. I used Little Greene Paint Company’s Intelligent Matt Emulsion – Juniper Ash, specified for it’s high abrasion resistance and scrubbable matt finish.

A great project to be involved with, I relish Cameoid restoration… for more information about my Lincrusta projects please visit my website; or – a number of our membership are Advanced Lincrusta Installers.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s